February 28, 2012

Basic Marinara


A few weeks ago, I checked out this Pinterest website that I was hearing so much about.  I was a bit confused by it at first, but I think I've caught on pretty quickly.  =)  I like that there is such a variety of things on there to look at, all in one place.  I came across a pin for make ahead meals.  I LOVE make ahead meals, so I checked it out.  I found this recipe for marinara in the bunch.  I could barely wait to try it!  I was able to make it over the weekend.  It smelled delicious while it was cooking!  I was able to get five two-cup servings and two one-cup servings in freezer bags. 


Basic Marinara

3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups chopped yellow onion (about 3 medium)
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons minced garlic (about 6 cloves)
2 teaspoons salt 
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth 
3 (28-ounce) cans no-salt-added crushed tomatoes

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add sugar and next 7 ingredients (through fennel seeds); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in vinegar; cook 30 seconds. Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a simmer. Cook over low heat for 55 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.

To store in the freezer: Ladle room-temperature or chilled sauce into plastic containers or zip-top plastic bags. Seal and freeze for up to four months. Consider freezing the sauce in one-cup increments (two servings' worth). That way, you can pull out exactly as much as you want for future meals. 

Yield - 12 cups

Hat Tip - My Recipes

1 comment:

  1. this looks delicious and easy enough to make! i'm not opposed to store bought, jarred sauce, but they're all bland and all essentially taste the same. plus if i intend on cooking any pasta dishes for my sweetie, he is very much opposed to store bought sauce so this would be a nice surprise for him!

    ReplyDelete