August 7, 2010

Scones!

 
Sadly, it has been a few weeks since my last post. I've been in the kitchen but between getting strep throat and starting a new job, I haven't had much time to post my creations. My goal is to post more consistently. 

I've always wanted to make scones. I didn't get in a hurry to make them, because I thought they were a lot of trouble. That is until I read the recipe for Apricot and Pecan Scones in my Ski Country Cookbook. They were very simple to make! They came together pretty quickly in one bowl, which is great for clean-up. :) In the directions, it says to turn the dough onto a well floured surface. I floured my work surface and my rolling pin, but sadly forgot to flour the top of the dough. It stuck a bit and I quickly got more flour for the top. Another lesson learned. The scones were yummy and a great size. Not too big like a lot of scones sold in bakeries. Next time I want to try a different fruit and nut combination. I think dried cranberries with walnuts would be yummy. 

Apricot & Pecan Scones 

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour 
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar 
1 tablespoon baking powder 
pinch of salt 
1/2 cup dried apricots, finely chopped 
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans 
1 cup heavy cream 
1/4 cup milk 
1 large egg white, lightly beaten 
1 to 2 teaspoons sugar 

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable-oil spray or line with parchment paper. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the apricots and pecans. Slowly stir in the cream and milk to form a sticky dough. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface and, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll into a 9 inch circle about 3/4 inch thick. Stamp out the scones using a 2 or 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter or an overturned glass. Put the scones on the prepared baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Brush the tops of the scones with egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. 

Makes about 8 to 10 scones. 

Hat Tip - The Ski Country Cookbook by Barbara Scott-Goodman

No comments:

Post a Comment